We eat a lot of vegetables in our home on a regular basis. In fact fruits and vegetables are probably 70% of our plates on most days. The other week, I went way for right after my husband bought a bunch of delicious groceries. Since I wasn't at home, that week turned into burrito week (all week long) because well, they're delicious. So when I returned, I got to have fun with all of these veggies that were still there waiting for me.
Disclaimer * I made him sound useless. He's totally not AND he makes me fresh juice all the time which we all know is a pain.
10 Spice Vegetable Soup with Cashew Cream
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 peeled and chopped sweet potato, or regular potato
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 tablespoon 10-Spice Blend
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- In a blender, combine the soaked and drained cashews with 1 cup of the vegetable broth and blend on the highest speed until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the carrots, bell pepper, potato, celery, diced tomatoes with their juices, remaining 5 cups broth, the cashew cream, and the 10-Spice Blend. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Season with salt and black pepper and add the bay leaves.
- Simmer the soup, uncovered, for at least 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves before serving.
Recipe inspired by Oh She Glows.