Have you ever wondered how to make your own homemade cheese? Well today is your lucky day! With only three ingredients, this DIY cheese recipe is so easy and delicious it will make you wonder why you’ve ever bothered buying store bought cheese. Please comment below if you give it a go, I love to hear about your recreations! Happy cheese making:)
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more as needed
- Line a large colander with a large double layer of cheesecloth, and set it in your sink.
- In a large wide pot, bring the milk to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning the bottom (a nonstick pot works really well for this purpose). This will take a little while so be patient!
- Add the lime juice and turn the heat down to low. Stirring gently, you should almost immediately see the curds (white milk solids) and whey (the greenish liquid) separate. This is perfect!
- Remove the pot from the heat and carefully pour the contents into the cheesecloth-lined colander. Gently rinse with cool water to get rid of the lemon flavor. At this point, you could squeeze out some of the liquid, and serve with some honey and some nuts, almost like a fresh ricotta! Or you can add salt, dill, herbs or anything you like and continue to the next step.
- Grab the ends of the cheesecloth and twist the ball of cheese to squeeze out the excess whey. Tie the cheesecloth to your kitchen faucet and allow the cheese to drain for about 5 minutes.
- Twisting the ball to compact the cheese into a block, place it on a plate with the twisted part of the cheesecloth on the side (this will ensure your block of cheese is nice and smooth!) and set another plate on top. Weigh the second plate down with cans of beans or a heavy pot. Move to the refrigerator and let it sit about 20 minutes.
- Unwrap your beautiful disc of homemade cheese and serve.