Looking for the perfect summer soup? Then give this plant-based broccoli cheddar soup recipe a try. It is the perfect dairy-free alternative that is extremely satisfying. Besides that, this is a great way to use up your leftover vegetables and can be modified to your taste. In fact, this is a must-make for the summer for vegans and non-vegans!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups (280 g) chopped red onion (from 1 large onion)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (115 g) chopped celery (2-3 stalks)
- 1 cup (155 g) peeled and chopped carrots (2 medium carrots)
- 4 cups (330 g) chopped broccoli florets (1 large bunch broccoli)
- 2 cups (115 g) chopped cauliflower florets (1 small cauliflower)
- 5 1/2 cups (1.375 L) vegetable broth or water or a mix of the two
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- raw pumpkin seeds (Urban Hippie Pumpkin Seeds)
- drizzle of avocado oil
- In a large pot (about 24 cups) with a lid, add the onion and garlic with the oil and sauté over medium heat for a few minutes. Also, season with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper.
- As you cut up the vegetables, add them into the pot one by one, celery, carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, and squash. Then sauté over medium heat, while stirring every once and a while so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Using the lid cover the pot and cook the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes, if necessary reduce heat.
- Next, stir and add in the broth. Bring the soup to a low boil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low/medium and cover with the lid until the squash and potato are fork-tender.
- Then turn off the heat, remove the lid and allow the soup to cool slightly for 5 minutes to 7 minutes. After cooling, gradually scoop the soup into a blender (you will probably have to do this in a few batches) and add in the nutritional yeast. Carefully blend the mixture with the lid slightly open (to allow heat to escape), starting at a low speed and increasing the speed until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.
- Now pour all of the puréed soup back into the original pot. Now, stir in the optional vinegar or lemon juice, to taste, about 1 teaspoon at a time. This helps give the soup flavours some brightness.
- Ladle into bowls. Before serving garnish with your topping of Urban Hippie raw pumpkin seeds and croutons.
How to store your Leftover Soup:
- After that, if there is any leftover soup place it into jars/containers. Make sure to allow the soup to cool before securing the lid and placing it in the fridge. The soup should stay fresh for a week in the fridge. To freeze, add cooled soup into a container or glass jar, leaving 1 inch at the top for expansion. Secure lid and freeze for up to 1 to 2 months.
Purchase your own bag of Urban Hippie granola here. and discover more recipes for the summer here. Similarly if you enjoyed this recipe you should pair your plant-based Broccoli Cheddar soup with one of Urban Hippie’s Simple Salad Ideas for a Busy Life