This whole wheat recipe will give you a whole new outlook on how to make dough In general. Biting into a pizza or challah using this recipe will feel like a cloud melting in your mouth. That is how fluffy and delicious your dough will be. Whole wheat and honey work wonders together, creating a lighter challah or pizza dough with this recipe will be easier than tying your shoe. Be one of the first to learn this amazing new trick, and out our recipe below!
- 1 cup warm water
- 1½ Tbsp sugar
- 9 tsp granulated yeast
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 ½ Tbsp seal salt
- ¾ Cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 6 cups + 7-9 cups whole wheat flour
1 egg, well beaten with 1 tsp water
A drizzle of honey
- Pour the warm water into a small bowl.
Then add the yeast and sugar in as well.
Now give the yeast a few minutes to bloom.
- In a large bowl, pour the boiling water. Add
In the salt. Then pour the oil, honey, and vanilla in as well
Once the water has cooled down, add
the eggs to the mixture, now whisk everything until they all combine.
- Now the yeast mixture should be foamy.
Add it to the large bowl then stir everything to
- Add the first amount of flour in and stir, now
gradually add in the last amount beginning
to knead by hand or mixer when the dough
becomes too tough to mix with a spoon.
- Let the dough to rest for a few minutes
before kneading. This lets it relax and allows an easier finish to your
Kneading. We do this because whole wheat is very dense
and hard to work with.
- Knead your dough until it springs back when
lightly touched. Let your dough rest for a
few minutes during this process.
- Pour 3-4 teaspoons of oil into the bowl.
Turn your dough around in the oil until
the outer layer of the dough has been thinly
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a warm,
damp dishcloth and place in a warm,
darkened spot to rise. Allow the dough to rise
for at least three hours, to allow for a lighter dough.
If you’re letting the dough rise for longer than three hours,
let out some air in the middle of the rising.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Divide the dough and braid or shape as
desired. Place shaped challahs on a greased
- Brush each challah or pizza with the egg glaze
immediately after braiding.
- Allow challahs to rise for another
- Now glaze your challah or pizza again, drizzle some honey on top then sprinkle some oats on.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Your Challah or Pizza is ready when its underside
is brown and it sounds hollow when tapped.
Want To See More?
Check out the full video on YouTube
If you liked making this recipe, we encourage you to try out this delicious Carrot Top Pesto recipe and our Coconut Pecan and Chocolate Oat Cookie recipe. Click here to check out all of the other recipes that we post on the blog! Above all, we want to hear from you! Let us know if you chose the healthy way or needed a sweet snack to get you going for the day. Leave a review on our website or on our Facebook page! Follow us on social media as well!